SAMPE 2018 Advanced Materials and Processes Conference and Exhibition Wraps
Friday, May 25, 2018
Posted by: Janie Drake
SAMPE - Where Materials Meet the Marketplace
May 25, 2018 (Long Beach, CA) – SAMPE 2018, the only technical conference and exhibition exclusively dedicated to advanced materials and processes, closed yesterday after a final day of featured technical presentations from industry subject matter experts and a luncheon presentation by Mark R. Hatch, Maker Revolutionary. This event, produced by the North America Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE), drew 258 exhibiting companies and brought together 4,104 attendees - engineers, scientists, and professionals from throughout the advanced materials and processes industry.
“This spring conference is an excellent way for us to showcase all of the positive developments taking place in our industry,” says Ben Dietsch, SAMPE North America President and president of NONA Composites LLC. “SAMPE is uniquely able to provide a dedicated platform tailored to the needs of advanced materials and processes professionals.”
The SAMPE 2018 Awards Luncheon recognized the finalists for the SAMPE Young Professional Emerging Leadership Awards, SAMPE North America Distinguished Service Awards, and the SAMPE Delmonte Award for Excellence.
SAMPE Young Professional Emerging Leadership Awards
· Andrew C. Becnel, Ph.D., Professional Faculty, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland
· Rodrigo Cesar Berardine, Strategic Business Development Manager Latin America, Owens Corning
· John J. Gangloff Jr., Ph.D., Senior Research Engineer, Advanced Materials, United Technologies Research Center
· Ayou Hao, Ph.D., Research Faculty, Florida State University
· John Misasi, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Western Washington University
· Ian Swentek, Ph.D., PEng, Applications Development Engineer, Hexion
· Ashley Tracey, Ph.D., Engineer, The Boeing Company
Delmonte Award for Excellence
This year’s honoree is the Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development for their creation of the Utah Aerospace Pathways program.
SAMPE North America Distinguished Service Award
Two winners were selected this year for their long-time dedication and service to SAMPE:
· Tom Haulik, Sales Director, Hexcel Corporation
· Ray Miller, President of Northern Composites
Conference Program Highlights New Opportunities and New Applications
On Tuesday, Carmelo Lo Faro, president of Solvay Composite Materials presented the opening keynote, focusing on the history and future of composite materials. In the last 30 years Composite Materials have evolved from niche to mainstream thanks to major advances in chemistry and automation. However, the industry is still not extracting the full potential of the technology to maximize performance and reduce total cost of ownership. The future adoption of composites across multiple markets will be driven by innovations in high rate manufacturing, simulation and modelling, multi-functionality and environmental sustainability.
Event Highlights – Helping to Solve Our Workforce Challenges
SAMPE engaged over 250 engineering students with various ways to showcase their skills and gain exposure. SAMPE 2018 featured the SAMPE Student Symposium, SAMPE Bridge Building Competition, SAMPE Additive Manufacturing Contest, Student Poster Competition, and SAMPE Leadership Experience Awards.
Additionally, SAMPE hosted 100 middle-high school girls from the Girls Academic Leadership Academy (GALA). Funded by the SAMPE Foundation, the students took part in an introductory tutorial about composites, a Q&A session with professional female engineers, and explored parts of the SAMPE 2018 exhibit hall.
Outstanding Paper Awards
This week, SAMPE recognized the winners of the Outstanding Paper Awards. Over 250 abstracts and technical papers were submitted for SAMPE 2018. Of those, three stood out and were identified as outstanding by the SAMPE Technical Committee.
· First Place: Fabrication of Out-of-Autoclave Prepreg with High Through-Thickness Permeability by Polymer Film Dewetting, by Sarah G. K. Schechter, Timotei Centea, and Steven R. Nutt
· Second Place: Warpage of Thin-Gauge Compression-Moulded Panels with Discontinuous Long Fibre Carbon/Polyetheretherketone, by Caroline Collins and Pascal Hubert
· Third Place: Recycling of Amine/Epoxy Composites Using Chemical Treatment at Atmospheric Pressure, by Yijia Ma, Travis J. Williams, and Steven R. Nutt
Photos from SAMPE 2018 are available via SAMPE’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SAMPEGlobal.
Contact: Michelle Tubb
Director of Marketing and Digital Media
Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering