SAMPE 2019 Conference Wrap-Up
Thursday, May 30, 2019
Posted by: Janie Drake
May 30, 2019 (Diamond Bar, CA) The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE® — https://www.sampeamerica.org/) held its first annual event at the Charlotte Convention Center, May 20–23. The event drew 252 exhibiting companies and brought together 3,316 attendees - engineers, scientists, and professionals from throughout the advanced materials and processes industry. The 2019 program featured more than 150 technical paper presentations, a forum for exchange and debate, quality tutorials and inspirational featured presentations led by esteemed researchers and thought leaders.
The event opened with a keynote address by The Boeing Company’s Chief Technology Officer, Dr. Greg Hyslop, who shared his perspectives on how the community SAMPE represents within can leverage and maximize world-changing impacts.
Jeff Andrews, Vice President of Competition at Hendrick Motorsports gave his view into where composite materials are being utilized in today’s current NASCAR race cars to enhance the performance, safety, cost and time.
A special track featured the SAMPE Material Forecast Forum findings that discussed different technology sectors and the relevancy to future advanced materials and processing technology development within the next 75 years.
An honorary session in honor Dr. Katie Thorp. Katie was a technical leader in high temperature polymers, composites, metamaterials, biomaterials and processing science. The session showed how Katie’s philosophy, passion, and hard work towards advancing technical progress is still being felt today.
“Our spring conference and exhibition at Charlotte was gratifying in many ways,” says Karin Anderson, SAMPE North America President and Associate Technical Fellow of The Boeing Company. “Not only was this our first event in Charlotte, we were also presenting several new innovative programming options to continue to inspire professionals for our next 75 years.”
Helping to Solve Our Workforce Challenges
SAMPE engaged almost 500 engineering students with various ways to showcase their skills and gain exposure; SAMPE Student Symposium, SAMPE Bridge Building Competition, SAMPE Additive Manufacturing Contest, SAMPE Fuselage Building Contest, Student Poster Competition, and SAMPE Young Professional Leadership Awards.
In support of personal and professional development, for the first time, SAMPE 2019 featured a collaborative, diverse and inclusive Learning Series, created for both emerging and established leaders
Each year at SAMPE several outstanding individuals are recognized for their achievements and contributions through the SAMPE Young Professional Emerging Leadership Awards and the Outstanding Technical Paper Awards.
SAMPE Young Professional Emerging Leadership Awards
· Filippo Cellini, Ph.D., Research Scientist, New York University
· Ryan Curry, Program Manager, Swift Engineering
· Konstantine Fetfatsidis, Ph.D., Founder & CEO, Make Composites, Inc. – 2019 Young Professional of the Year
· Alice Havill, Chief Operating Officer, Vartega Inc.
· Alison Lake, Lead Materials Application Engineer, GE Aviation
· Maggie McKenney, Business Development Engineer, Bostik
· Rassel Raihan, Ph.D., Research Scientist III, University of Texas at Arlington
· Furkan Ismail Ulu, Research Assistant, North Carolina A&T State University
· Hao Wu, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, KAI, LLC
· Timotei Centea, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor, University of Southern California* - 2019 Young Professional of the Year
SAMPE Outstanding Technical Paper Awards
- 1st place: “Multiscale Approaches to Formation of Thermoplastic Prepreg Short Carbon Fiber” — Drexel University
- 2nd place: “Reliable Optimized Structures with High Performance Continuous Fiber Thermoplastic Composites from Additive Manufacturing (AM)” — Arevo, Inc.
- 3rd place: “Spring Frame Press Fabrication of Aerospace Production Components” — The Boeing Company
2020 Conference and Exhibition
The next SAMPE Spring Conference and Exhibition will be held in Seattle, WA on May 4 – 7, 2020.
The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering is a global professional member society that provides information on new materials and processing technology either via technical forums, journal publications, or books in which professionals in this field can exchange ideas and air their views. As the only technical society encompassing all fields of endeavor in materials and processes, SAMPE provides a unique and valuable forum for scientists, engineers and academicians.
Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering